Monday 7 November 2016

Easy Christmas Wreath & Paper Pieced Trees


Last week I attended a workshop at my quilting and patchwork group and we were set a couple of super Christmas projects. It was a lot of fun thanks to Maureen our tutor for the day but (as I talk too much!) I didn't finish my two items until I was home.

First we made a simple but really effective Christmas wreath, (above) from scraps of fabric. They didn't have to be Christmas prints as long as they blended in with the overall colour scheme and mine were all different greens.
Squares measuring 5 inches were sewn in half leaving space to turn inside out. I realised quickly that they did not have to be exact and it wasn't necessary to sew up the side gap when they were stuffed with wadding.







We also started Christmas tree blocks for a hanging panel or table runner and here's Maureen's lovely
 sample, above. They are paper pieced which I had never ever found easy but I was determined to succeed.
I made an unsuccessful start in the class but managed to master the technique at home the next day. 
I was happy with my first one then really enjoyed my second one.
I ended up making four so I have decided to make a few more and turn them into a small Christmas lap quilt. I've found some red tartan for the sashes which will transform the blocks into a worthwhile finished item.

Pop over to my group's blog  (Here) to see photos of the workshop progression

It was such a good day and thanks again to Maureen.
We will be visiting the West Kirby 20th Anniversary this weekend where Maureen will be exhibiting so, if you can, get over there as they are always good shows and this one should be extra special.
Westbourne Road, West Kirby, Wirral, CH484DQ Cheshire
Friday 11th, 12 to 5pm and Sat 12th 10am to 4pm




6 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous wreath Jo! You have a fantastic choice of fabrics too! I love paper piecing - with paper - this looks a very fiddly thing to do with fabric so Bravo for making four and for wanting to make even more! Hope you are both in good health! Chrisx

tilly said...

Love the wreath and that quilt will be great for Christmas with the red fabric to lift it
Christine xx

Twiglet said...

I love the wreath Jo - might have to give that a go this time! x Jo

peggy gatto said...

Thank you for this idea!!! Looks so festive!

Gaby Bee said...

Jo, your wreath looks awesome and belongs in a magazine! Love the fabrics you've used!

Wishing you a wonderful, art-filled weekend!
Gaby xo

Hetty said...

Such a lovely wreath, jo and those quilt trees are awesome. Such beautiful decorations for your home.