Friday 25 September 2015

Birthday Makes & Friday Smiles

Catching up as I've only posted once in weeks but I haven't been idle.
I made 10 "crowns" just like Elsa wears in the film "Frozen" for my little grandee's birthday party. In the pots are sparkly diamantes and sequins for the little girl guests to stick on so they all had a crown to wear at the party.
I drew the shape on A4 card which was then stuck onto felt with fabric spray adhesive, then cut out. With cord elastic at each side they were ready to wear and the fun part of decorating was left to the children.
I also made drawstring goody bags in "Frozen" fabric for them to take home and I found Frozen activity packs at a bargain price.
I made another Elsa costume as my daughter and her little friends had worn out the one I made last year.  
This was made whilst I stayed in the apartment.... all guesswork and no overlocking, just a borrowed basic sewing machine.
and here's the 6 year old princess who wore it for her party and whilst I am well and truly "Frozen" out she had a wonderful time. 
Super cake in theme and the snowflakes were punched out with a paper punch in rice paper. Amazingly, when we tried it, it worked really well. They punched out perfectly.
Pop over to Annie's blog to start the weekend with smiles

Here are the reasons for my Friday Smile today but I do miss them so much. I'm looking forward now to seeing the Brighton Belles, my other two grandchildren. I just wish they were all nearer.
Last week it was her little brother's 2nd birthday and he had a really suitable cake ..... a great idea, made by their Mamma and really novel.....a big digger doing a demolition job on a heap of crushed Maltesers and broken chocolate bars.

We went to a tractor festival out in the countryside and my little grandson was so excited.
Tractors old and new and this old relic took the children on rides, (and quite a few adults too)

Still Smiling! and this one amazed me how agile and fearless she was!
There were ploughing competitions and, as the furrows were ploughed, the crop of potatoes was turned up. We were all given sacks to collect potatoes and I fully expected to have to weigh and pay for them but they were FREE and we all staggered home with the bounty.
The two couples, below, gave me a smile as they had the perfect way to carry their spuds to their car........on their umberellas.
My final smile is because I will see Cardarian, (my lovely friend Dolores) who will visit me next week and we will be going to Port Sunlight Show on Sat 3rd Oct which means I will meet up with some other lovely crafty friends. If anyone, who knows us, is planning to be there we will be outside the front at 1pm so come and say "Hello".

11 comments:

Twiglet said...

Fab post Jo - I love love love the Frozen costume and your party ideas are just perfect - I bet the girlies loved decorating their sparkly crowns. I think I might be copying your digger cake next year. Ben is besotted with all the diggers here on the building site! x Jo

Annie said...

Fab pics of your lovely family Jo. Looks lie a fun time was had by all. Give my love to Dolores when you see her.
Hugs,
Annie x

Anne said...

Hello Jo. A super post - such lovely makes. Adore my grandchildren as well. I am lucky that granddaughters around the corner ( still dress up with the headdresses you sent for them) Phoebe will be six at end of October - also loves Frozen. Anne x

mamapez5 said...

Wow. That's a busy post this week. I love all the frozen stuff. I don't have any little girls to make things for, but this theme seems to have caught all the little ones imaginations.The tractor trip is more like we had when ours were small. I once found our youngest (Ben whom you met), sitting on the dining room table 'brumming' micro cars around his brother's demolition site cake, while all the children were outside playing! happy days.! Kate x

Cardarian said...

Oh what a lovely post! The photos are just amazing! Your granddaughter is really brave to climb that wall and oh please can I have a tiara too? You have made some lovely things and I just can't wait to see you and we have our chatty and crafty time together my lovely friend!
Big, big hugs
Cardarian

Helen said...

Love the smiles, Jo - but I count myself lucky in never having seen Frozen.. there are benefits to having no children/grandchildren after all! The cakes look amazing, and the crowns perfect for decorating at a party. Sorry I won't be at Port Sunny next week, but hope to see some more "smiles" here afterwards, lol!"

Robyn Oliver said...

Hi Jo....now that was one fantastic and busy week for you...lots of birthdays and your did a amazing job of the costume and party hats - decorating them is such fun and fills in some party time...I remember doing this with our daughter many years ago. Love the dozer cake too. Enjoy your weekend and trip to the show. Cheers Robyn

Neet said...

Great account of your time in Germany - everything looks absolutely wonderful and my how your grandee has grown up. Love the climbing wall!!!
Must pop over to get my magazines before too long.
Hugs, Neet xx

Lynne said...

Love your posts when you are with the family Jo. And wow, you are some grandma! I confess my sewing skills are not up to costume making, though I could manage those crows - how gorgeous! Lxx

Lynne said...



CROWNS!!!!!!!! For goodness'sake! Duh!

Carola Bartz said...

Frozen bags in a Haribo box!!! Where did all the gummibears go?
You made a very special birthday for your granddaughter - how lovely. It's interesting how all the little girls always love Elsa.