Sunday 19 July 2015

Fabric ATC Swap & Sticky Fingers Quilt Show

I'm thrilled to be joining in the 7th Fabric ATC swap, with Ali, over at Very Berry Handmade and the theme is
My Favourite .....
and the rest is up to me......
so I decided to make my mini collaged, embroidered, doo dah-ed tiny piece of textile art all about my favourite artist....... 
 first a couple of doodles to try to get an impression of his work.
 I decided that this one, below, might lend itself to the task but it looks so bland as a simple sketch of black on white, when he works in bold colour and with such a great sense of freedom. I've have to reign myself in.
He worked in design, art, textiles and architecture, all on a big scale, and had extremely innovative ideas about conservation. He was certainly non-comformist and used his art to spread the message for alternative living. 
Maybe you will guess his name???
 I'll keep that to myself for a little longer unless you are canny enough to guess?
 I rushed to gather a few fabrics so I could begin to transform my ideas and add colour to my mini tribute to him. This is my inspiration and my first steps and it is amazing how daunting but exciting it is to contemplate a creation which is only 2.5 inches  x 3.5 ins. I'm looking forward to seeing how I get on with these tiny bits of fabric (which are still far to much) and I don't think it will be a simple task. Looking forward to doing some free machine embroidery, maybe I'll add a few beads too..... ooooh ! It's so little but really exciting!
  Stage 1 over, now watch this space!!!
I have been lucky enough to see his art in a major exhibition and I have also visited several places where he transformed building with his architectural revamps.
Here's the interior of a station
and sinks in the public conveniences...

How will I shrink a bit of this into such a small area?


Sticky Fingers Quilt Show in Coppull
Several of the members of my quilt group enjoyed a great day out with a visit to this super exhibition which was so well organised.
First we stopped off at the refreshment venue where we enjoyed an exceptional range of home made cakes and tea, all for the price of £1. 
Great start to the day.
On then to Sticky Fingers Shop for a little retail therapy before going into the nearby Methodist Hall to see the fabulous range of quilts and sundry items on display. I'll show just a few and put the rest of my photos on the group's quilt cornerstone blog in a day or two.

The hall was full and then we discovered that in the church the pews were also draped with even more to see plus an exhibition of City & Guilds work.
This hexagonal panel was exquisitely made

Lots of inspiration for Ch....m.s
Loved this bargello tree skirt.
a whole wall of festive makes....
and I was lucky enough to win this well made, pretty, cushion in the raffle.


9 comments:

sam21ski said...

Gosh they always looks gorgeous Jo, but I will never understand how anyone has the patience to sew all those little bits together!!!

PS the cakes look delicious!!

Annie said...

What a lovely little project Jo.....will watch out for further developments. Wonderful photos of the exhibited patchwork and lucky you to win the cushion.
Hugs,
Annie x

mamapez5 said...

Wow. What fabulous work at the quilt exhibition! Your artist certainly had a quirky view of life, but I am watching the space to see how you translate some of that on to an ATC. Kate x

Twiglet said...

The quilts are stunning -I really like the hexagon panel and the tree skirt - so clever. I bet your artwork will be just as amazing - can't wait to see it. x Jo

Hettie said...

What beautiful quilts on show there. Cannot pick a favourite.
Your piece looks interesting.
Hugs
xx

Neet said...

What fabulous photos - both sets!
Love the hexagonal quilted piece and the tree skirt. Wow, these are amazing, see why you are so hooked.
Hugs, Neet xx

Dotty Jo said...

Your blog posts always make me happy! Jo x

Helen said...

oh my!! fabulous architectural features and simply stunning quilts (I am a bit with Sam about the patience!)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fantastic post Jo! Chrisx